In business, as in sports, success depends on a combination of collaborative teamwork, rigorous training, an effective strategy, and a winning attitude. That very combination forms the basis for the successful cooperation between the businesses of Deutsche Post DHL and the Service Lines of GBS.
Meeting the needs of our business partners
Global Business Services (GBS) is considered to be one of the largest global shared services organizations in the world. GBS operates in over 220 countries with over 13,000 employees, offering a wide spectrum of support services to all Deutsche Post DHL group divisions. We work in partnership with the business units – our Business Partners – and remain focused on their needs and opportunities.
Learn more about our eleven service lines
GBS's advantage lies in leveraging the internal professionals who understand core business and enable business units to have more time to focus on core operations. The Service Lines also help the Deutsche Post DHL Group to enhance transparency, increase efficiency and reduce cost while striving for better quality of services.
In brief: Our mission is to add value to and meet the needs of our Business Partners at a competitive cost position – and thereby to become a preferred internal Service Partner.
Facts & Figures
Impressive facts & figures
GBS is active in 220 countries around the world – at most places where Deutsche Post DHL maintains a presence. GBS employs some 13,000 staff worldwide – around 10,000 in Europe, approximately 1,500 in North, South and Central America, and some 1,200 in the Asia-Pacific region.
The largest Service Lines are IT Services and Finance Operations, which each employ around 4,000 people, followed by Real Estate with around 2,300 employees, HR Operations with 800, and Corporate Procurement with 550 employees globally.
The volume of work which the GBS Service Lines handle is significant.
Each year they:
- process some 25 million billings and invoices and handle over one million finance-related telephone inquiries from customers (Service Line: Finance Operations);
- manage 34 million square meters of owned and leased property around the globe (Service Line: Real Estate);
- support approximately 320,000 employees globally in a variety of human resources processes (Service Line: HR Operations);
- manage more than 10 billion euros of annual procurement spend (Service Line: Procurement);
- manage a fleet of more than 60,000 vehicles in Germany alone – from delivery vans to special lift trucks (Service Line: Fleet);
- provide IT services to DPWN 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, with a "Follow the Sun" policy (Service Line: IT Services).
Among our medalists
GBS Service Lines have been the recipients of awards and recognition for a range of noteworthy achievements. Their successes are tantamount to the success of our Business Partners.
The following is some examples:
- Procurement Excellence Award for Procurement EMEA's transformation project "BestFit". The award recognizes excellence, innovation, and leadership across the European Procurement and Supply Chain community.
- Real Estate Europe and DHL Express Hungary team won the prestigious Warehousing/Logistics Development Award from Construction & Investment Journal.
- HR Operations Germany's administrative personnel processes were ranked the best in a benchmarking against six top German companies including Lufthansa, Commerzbank, and Dresdner Bank.
- IT Services has achieved CMMI Level 3 certifications in all regions (CMMI – Capability Maturity Model Integration is an industry- independent qualification that attests the quality of IT products and services delivered.)